Say hello to a new recipe that is now a Brienanas insta-classic:
Delicious – Check
Healthy Spin – Check
Mini – Check
Oh and did I mention super delicious? – Check and Check
A friend introduced me to vegan cinnamon rolls a few months back and clearly, I fell in love.
Needless to say, I had to put my own twist on it (enter the apples, pecans and graham crackers) and therefore concocted this brunch/breakfast/dessert/holiday appropriate delight.
Note: I played around with the flour, so don’t feel restricted to stick to what I used in the recipe. The oat flour/whole wheat flour worked well for me. The only thing to keep in mind is that when rolling the dough with the apple/pecan filling, the dough cracked a bit so, I had to pinch a few spots back together, but if you roll it up gently, you shouldn’t have any problems 🙂
Look at that bite!! It’s soft and crumbly in all the best ways, trust me.
– 3/4 cup plant-based milk (I used rice milk in this one)
– 1 packet of active yeast
– 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
– 1 1/2 cup oat flour
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp nutmeg
– 1 tbsp baking powder
– 1/4 cup raw sugar
– 2 tbsp coconut oil
– 3 tbsp graham cracker crumbs
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
– 1/2 tbsp plant-based milk
– 1 finely chopped apple (I used golden delicious)
– 1/2 cup crushed pecans
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– 1 tbsp Earth Balance
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
– 1 tbsp raw sugar
1. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. While the oven is heating, warm the 3/4 cup of the plant-based milk in a) the microwave for 2 minutes or b) on the stove over medium heat in a mini pot for about 4 minutes.
2. Once the milk is warmed, add the yeast and stir in until dissolved completely.
3. Combine (from the dough ingredients) the flours, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and coconut oil in a bowl. Stir in the yeast/milk mixture until everything is evenly incorporated. Sprinkle some flour over a sanitized surface and knead the dough 15 times. If the dough is sticking too much to your hands, add a little extra flour (1 tbsp at a time).
4. Then take a floured rolling pin and roll the dough into a large rectangle.
5. For the filling, finely chop the apple, crush the pecans and combine in a pot over medium heat with the remainder of the filling ingredients: Earth Balance, cinnamon, vanilla and raw sugar. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, but don’t forget to stir every few minutes!
6. Now that the filling is ready, set 1/4 cup aside for the topping and spread the rest over the dough leaving at least an inch around the edge of the dough without the filling.