Lately I have not been sleeping all that well, which is not ideal. I am not someone who can stand to lay in bed for hours and hours, hoping I will drift soundly back to sleep. So, to pass the the time, I read, I peruse the internet or I cook. This morning, because I was up at 5 a.m., I decided I was in the mood for pancakes, so I popped out of bed, made up a new recipe (adapted from Minimalist Baker — they are the best!) and created some of the most decadent (possibly my favorite) pancakes I have made to date!
– 1/3 cup oats
– 1 tbsp turbinado raw sugar
– 1/2 tbsp baking powder
– 1 tbsp chia seeds
– 1 tbsp hemp seed hearts
– a pinch of salt
– 1 cup soy milk (or plant based milk)
– 1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 cup shredded coconut
– 1/4 cup crushed almonds
– 1/4 cup non-dairy dark chocolate chunks
1. Combine all of the dry ingredients into one bowl.
2. Add the soy milk, coconut oil and vanilla extract to the dry mixture and stir until everything is evenly incorporated. Let the batter sit for 3-5 minutes.
3. Now, turn on your burner (if you’re using a pan) to medium high. Allow the pan to heat up for a minute or two and feel free to “butter” the pan with a plant-based oil or Earth Balance (I used Earth Balance).
4. Pour about 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake (depending on how large or small you want them to be you can add more or less) into the pan.
5. How do you know when to flip the pancake? Wait for air bubbles to start forming on the top of the pancake. You will also notice the edges of the pancake begin to firm up and become somewhat golden brown. When it looks ready, flip it!
6. Once all of your pancakes are finished, feel free to make an awesome stack and sprinkle some almonds, coconut and chocolate chunks on top. These pancakes would also be great with whipped topping ; )
2 thoughts on “Chocolate Almond Pancakes”
I cannot not wait to go out to get the ingredients! YUM!!!
They are so worth it!