Well hello again, as promised here are the “fruits” (terrible pun intended) of my labor this past week. I had a bag of frozen raspberries begging to be used and the combination of raspberry and grapefruit seemed so crazy, that it just might work.
– 6 tbsp soy milk (or any plant-based milk)
– 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 cup raspberries (I used frozen, if you use fresh I’d use 2/3 cup)
– 1/4 cup turbinado sugar
– 1/4 cup pureed banana
– 2 tbsp Earth Balance (melted)
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp baking soda
– 1 1/2 tsp valencia orange peel (dried)
– 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
– 1/4 cup grapefruit juice (freshly squeezed)
– 1 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°
2. While the oven is heating up, prepare the dough. In two separate bowls combine all of the dry ingredients and all of the wet ingredients.
3. Slowly add the dry “mix” into the wet ingredients and stir just until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated. Do not over stir!
4. I only had one mini donut baking tin, so I greased that with some melted Earth balance and carefully spooned in a little over a tablespoon of dough into each donut space. I used my finger to even out the top of each donut and made sure the dough did not cover the hole. This recipe yielded a little over 24 mini donuts.
5. Put into the oven and bake for 8 1/2 minutes.
6. Once you remove the donuts, allow them to cool completely and then carefully place them onto a plate.
7. After you’ve mixed the glaze, dip each donut completely into it (covering the entirety of the donut) and place on a cooling rack (make sure to put a plate or parchment paper underneath so you don’t have an uber sticky mess).
8. Place into a storage container and allow to sit in the fridge overnight for best flavor.
Secret weapon: This weekend I came across a splendid creation in an adorable specialty shop in North Carolina. There I found and acquired some Southern Moonshine Jelly and when combined with these donuts the light tart flavor of the donuts and the sweet but tangy bite of the jelly make you feel like you’re eating a healthy sea breeze ; )