For the past few months I have been making an effort to “de-toxify” my life. No, that does not mean a crazy juice fast or numerous trips to the sauna. Essentially I have been trying to remove/donate processed or non-organic/non-natural foods and/or ingredients from my pantry (I did not have a ton, but compared to 6 months ago my food supply has been significantly improved) and to eliminate/donate potentially toxic/non-organic/non-natural cleaning products, toiletries and the like. Due to the fact that I do not like to waste nor can afford to, it has taken a while, but I am really excited with the overall results thus far. I either wait until certain expensive or organic items are on sale OR I make it myself (ex: honey face wash, flaxseed hair gel (sounds crazy but it works!!), vinegar-based stain remover, etc.).
I am spending less at the grocery and am feeling a lot better about my purchases. In addition to cleansing I have been “streamlining” my food-process process (ha). I have been able to cut down on trips to the store and time in the kitchen (not that I do not love being in the kitchen, because I do). This was accomplished because I alternate making lunch for the week at work with a co-worker, so I only have to cook twice a month (with relation to my job) and we enjoy plant-based, delicious lunches daily. This enables me to save time and money (bringing your own lunch is significantly cheaper than buying it and I get to try things I may not typically make). It may not work for everyone, but if there is someone at work who likes to eat the same things you do, it is a great option.
Fuel for this week:
- Beast-Mode Oatmeal: Microwave 1/3 cup rolled oats + 1/2 cup fruit (banana, apple, berries, fruit combos) + 1 tsp hemp seed hearts + 1 tsp chia seed OR flaxseed + 1/2 cup water OR 1/4 cup light coconut milk + 1/8 cup Chinoa granola + dash of cinnamon + 1/2 tsp 100% organic maple syrup.
- Green Monster Smoothie (my version): 1 cup chopped kale + 1 banana OR 1/2 banana and 4 frozen strawberries + 1/3 cup coconut water + 1/4 cup tofu (sometimes) + 1-2 tsp almond butter + 1/2 cup water. Blend well 🙂
- Arugula, Beet Salad with Hummus dressing: 2 cups baby arugula + 1/2 cup sliced cucumbers + 1/3 cup sliced beets + dressing (1 tbsp caramelized onion hummus + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar).
- Carrot, Sweet Potato, Coconut Soup:
-1/4 – 1/3 cup light coconut milk (use more coconut milk if you love the flavor)
– 1 medium-sized sweet potato (peel and chop)
– 5 medium-sized carrots (peel and chop)
– 1/2 medium-sized yellow onion (diced)
– 1 tsp olive oil (or oil of your choosing)
– 1 tbsp ginger
– 1-2 tsp dried chili pepper (finely chopped)
** if you are not a spicy fan, forgo the peppers**
– 1-2 cup water OR vegetable broth
– salt and pepper to taste (I do not add any and let other people do if they prefer
1. Put the oil and onions in a pan on medium. Cook until the onions are slightly brown.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for around 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes and carrots are very soft.
3. Turn off the heat and let the pan cool. Then transfer the contents of the pan to a blender or food processor. Blend on high until the soup has a smooth, consistent texture (mine was sort of like a puree, so add more liquid if you want it to be thinner). Pour into a bowl and enjoy! Makes about 4-5 cups.